Monday 3 January 2011

Video Analysis- Hayley Westenra 'Wuthering Heights'



This is one of the many covers of the famous 'Wuthering Heights' song by Kate Bush. This video and song is ,obviously,based around the story of the same name written by Emily Brontë. I particularly caught my attenetion to this video is its similarity to our own video. The story portrayed in the music video is basically the love between Catherine Earnshaw and Heathcliff. Catherine ,who has died, haunts Heathcliff.

The theme of death runs predominantly throughout the video. I liked how the cross dissolve transitions were used to give a more ghostly feel. The transitions make it look like the singer is a spirit appearing and disappearing. I was mesmerised by how a simple transition could turn a simple music video into a beautiful masterpiece. This inspired my group and I to add more cross dissolve transitions.

Another similarity between our own music video and this one, is its location. The setting of a olden day house adds to the eeireness of the atmosphere. When I first saw this video, I loved how it had the singer wandering and singing in the different rooms. Most of the time she is alone singing and if she isn't she is separated by something from her Heathcliff. I feel this represents the singer's loneliness, trapped without her true love. The fact that she is always separated from him, I feel, represents her inability to move on to the next life. This idea was incoporated into our music video with a similar storyline,( A young woman who tragically dies is unable to rest in peace and reflects on her life and past love).

Roshi Theva

No comments:

Post a Comment