Monday 13 December 2010

Editing 'Raindrops'

We have now finished editing our music video, and we have gone back numerous times to make sure it is perfect. When editing Raindrops we followed our story board that we had previously prepared (we also used this when filming). We uploaded all the footage from the cameras and looked at each shot on the story board and started to drag each shot, we didn't follow the story board entirely as we had some shots that looked best in other places and we had new ideas each time it came to editing. We had many great shots that we wanted to use but I put them on to I movie one by one and started to edit each scene. Everything was running smoothly within the first two weeks and Mr Roberts was happy with what we had achieved, however when we lost all of our work, we had to start from the beginning again and this meant that we were short for time. We then had 2 weeks until our deadline to edit and we found it difficult to make our music video the exact same as before.

We did our best at editing to perfection and added plenty of good transitions where appropriate such as fade to white, fade to black, cross dissolves and we also used the effects on the Mac's to change the colour, contract, exposure, lighting and brightness of each scene. Using these transitions and effects for our music video really made our end result look professional as we knew exactly where to put them and how to make them link to each soon. Furthermore, the effects on the video clips that we used made our music video look a lot more interesting and eye catchy, it also made our main character look more appealing and believable that she is a real artist. The transitions we used made our shots look more interesting and it helps each clip run smoothly when switching from one to another without any jumpy shots.

We found that lip syncing was very difficult but once we got the hang of it, we completed this task very well. I also found that by slowing down or speeding up a clip helps to lip sync and it sometimes makes the clips look more believable other than just leaving the scene as it originally was.

We had a slight problem when listening to the music Raindrops on our music video because each day I would go back on the Mac to edit, the song would not play so I had to delete the music and keep uploading the song again. It is working now so we were able to complete our editing as we listen to the music and edit at the same time so that we can edit to the beat.

Today we showed our final project to Mr Roberts and he gave us suggestions of ways to improve our music video. A few of the clips were out of sync and were quite noticeable, one of the scenes were particularly out of sync as the clip was too fast for the music. Therefore, I tried to slow the clip down and alter the duration of the clip but it still did not look in sync. I ended up deleting the entire clip and dragging in another clip of me (the actress) but singing the same lines. I then made the timing perfect by deleting the unwanted footage from the beginning and end of the clip.

Mr Roberts also told us that two of our shots were positioned in the wrong place because when the singer begins the next verse, we originally had a clip of our character standing against a large window and looking outside, then the clip changed to a close up of me singing the next half of the verse. Mr Roberts explained to us that the clip of me singing should begin as soon as the next verse does as this will give a bigger impact on our audience and make them feel a lot more engaged with the character. To correct this problem I had to drag in another clip of the close up of me singing the beginning of the second verse and I swapped it with the long shot clip of me looking out the window. I then had to listen carefully for the beat and cut off the unwanted footage at the beginning and end of the clip. It was very challenging to do as I had to ensure the lip syncing was correct and i also had to make sure the duration of the clip I added was exactly the same as the clip I had removed otherwise the rest of our music video would all be out of sync and I would have to go back and adjust every single clip.

When I finally made these improvements our music video was looking so much better and Mr Roberts was very impressed with the changes I made. I then went back and forth, watching the music video again finding other ways to improve and again, there were a few minor details where the clips were out of sync. For the last chorus we originally had a long scene of me singing to the camera (sitting on the floor with the hairdryer blowing my hair), in the middle of this scene there was a very obvious part where I didn't quite sing the lyrics 'and the lights go on'. To correct this problem I decided it would be best to split the clip and delete the section where I didn't sing, I then added another clip where I wasn't singing (walking in the corridor scene) and I filled in the space. This change made the whole scene look very professional as all the parts where it was suppose to be in sync were now in sync and it also made a long scene more interesting as there was a cut away in between. I carried on tweaking a few scenes because they were also out of sync or not going along with the beat. I am very happy with our final reuslt and we will be saving it on to a quick time file tomorrow so that Mr Roberts can access it for it to be marked.

Mariam Nikpour

No comments:

Post a Comment